Saturday, December 8, 2012

What are some tips on how to get my dog comfortable to the idea of a new baby?

Q. This is my first child. The when I asked the vet this question, I was told to take a baby doll and treat it like it was a baby. I am looking for other suggestions.

A. Get your dog familar with the smells of a new baby, powders lotions ect... When you come home from the hospitol with the baby, have someone else hold the baby and you greet your dog (to avoid jealousy) introduce the dog(on a leash) to the baby allow him to smell the baby, and tell the dog be easy with the baby. I too was very nervous when I had my first baby about how my dog would act and accept the baby. But, I didn't have any problems with her. My dog loved the baby instantly and was ever gentle and loyal and protective of all three of my kids til the day she died. Usually they are pretty accepting of your new family member and learn from you that this is something we have to love and protect. Just remember though, that even though you may trust your pets, all animals need to be supervised when around babies and small children.


What otc pain and/or anti-inflammatory meds can I give my dog for his knee ligament injury?
Q. The vet said it will be fine in a couple of weeks, and not to do anything. Also, is rest necessary, or should I walk him for exercise? I forgot to ask the vet this question, and it's hard to get in quickly to see him.
Linus is 13 lbs.
The vet is a low cost fast turnaround type of guy, and they never answer the phone, so I can't ask him.
To the second answerer, did you ever give a dog ibuprofen?

A. Omega 3 (fish oil) might help, it won't hurt. I have taken 'shark cartilage' for tennis elbow and many runners take it all the time. It cleared up my tennis elbow in a very short time. The alternative -the doctors orders- was to take 800 ml of Ibuprofen twice a day for two to four weeks and likely have stomach ulcers from them. I wouldn't give a small dog an ibuprofen.
Best to do something you know will not hurt him or follow the vets instructions. Think of your 13 lb dog as a 13 lb baby. Would you give something that potent to someone that small? People medicine should never be given to dogs unless the vet says so. Their systems are much different. That is why sugar free gum will kill a dog, but not a child or adult.


Why does my dog have the worst smelling gas?
Q. Ok even though it is funny, this is a serious question. My dog has the worst smelling gas I have ever smelled! It just started happening like a month ago too. Could it be that she is on medication right now or what??
This smells like I am living with a skunk!! No joke!

A. Medication can do it. Obviously you have been feeding the same food and this just happened a month ago. Also one thing you might want to do is take him to your vet to see if is anal glands need to cleaned out. My older Dachshund gets really stinky gas and that is my sign he needs his anals secreted.

Could be the problem.


What to expect when getting a puppy neutered?
Q. My 4 month old shih tzu puppy will get neutered next month.

I'd like to know what to expect before and after he gets neutered.
Any tips or advice to help make this process easier for him?



PS: I would definitely ask his vet more questions regarding his neutering. For now, I'd just like to know ideas and opinions from experienced dog owners here on YA.


Thanks and have a great day.

A. l had my 8 month old puppy neutered three weeks ago. l had to give him no food after 8pm the night before, then l took him to the vets at 9am the following morning.
l rang the vets at 3pm to check how the operation had gone, and when to go pick him up.
l went for him at 5pm, he was groggy from the anaesthetic, slept all the way home, he didn't eat anything for the rest of the evening, he just slept.
The following morning it was as if nothing had happened, he was wanting to run around and play, but l had to keep him on his lead and only allow him five minute walks. He needed to take it steady so he didn't pull the stitches and open the wound.
The stitches were disolvable ones, but he needed to go back to the vets after 10 days to check everything was fine and the wound had healed. Then he could go back to his normal walks, running around and playing with my two other dogs.

lf he had tried licking at his stitches he would have needed a bucket collar so he couldn't reach, but luckily he left the stitches alone.
After the first day they do bounce back quickly, it's trying to keep them calm and stop them running and jumping that's the problem.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment