Sunday, December 9, 2012

Polysporin drops to clear up an eye infection on a cat?

Q. My cat has an eye infection. (I know it is an eye infection as he had one a few months ago. I would really rather not incur another 150 dollar vet bill for them to tell me he has an eye infection and prescribe me antibiotic ointment, which he hated). We used to use Polysporin drops with our dogs, on vet advice. Can I do the same for a cat? Is is safe and appropriate to use Polysporin drops on a cat for an eye infection?

A. If they are polysporin eye drops go for it. Try it for a few days and see if the eye is better but be sure to give it at least 5 days.
You can buy terramycin eye drops for cat at a pet store so that might be a better option.
Yes, you should take your cat to the vet so he can give you the proper diagnosis and treatment, but I understand that it can be a significant financial problem for regular people with regular income. I have foster cats/kittens and we always have to think about the budget.


Should i give sedatives for my 4month old dog?
Q. I'm planning to bring my dog on a 12hour FLIGHT. I'm afraid if i don't give him sedatives, he'll disturb the other passengers. I have visited my vet. She advice me not to give him sedatives. She said there's many side effect after using it. So what should i do?

A. i wouldnt give sedatives to a 4 month old pup-you may kill him, or cause irreversible organ damage. id follow the advice of the vet.

there is probably nothing you can do, but bring lots of chewies and toys he loves, and hopefully he will sleep most of the trip.

can a 4 month old pup even go on a flight? or are there regulations as far as age limits? you may want to double check.

also, make sure he stays well hydrated-i believe he has to stay crated, so keep a familiar blanket in there, and one of those clip on water bottles.


What home remedy can I use to treat my dogs ear infection?
Q. I have a yellow lab that has a small ear infection. While I am more than willing to go to the vet, is there any cheap over the counter remedy that I can use to treat, obviously if it does not improve then would take to the vet, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A. You really need to go to a vet straight up. If there is a yeast or bacterial infection, the dog really needs medicated (antibiotic/antifungal) ear drops to clear it up. The other thing with ear infections is that it's important to check that a/ there is nothing down the ear that has triggered the infection (e.g. a grass seed) and that the ear drum is not damaged in anyway. If there's something down the ear, then the infection's not going to go away regardless of what it is treated with. If the ear drum is damaged, you have to be very, very careful about anything that is put in the ear- some products, even veterinary ear drops, can lead to problems such as deafness if they are put down the ear canal and are able to pass through into the middle/inner ear.


Can I crush a oral canine papilloma on my own ?
Q. I read that crushing the papilloma will stimulate the immune system fight off the virus. However, I can't find any specifics on how it is done (besides using a hemostat) or if it needs to be performed by a vet. Advice and experiences are appreciated.

A. You need a vet to do it if it is going to be done. But dog warts usually go away on their own. If they don't, then removal and a BIOPSY are called for. Here's a site that tells you about it:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_viral_papillomas.html

My dog grew a wart on his eyelid, and it scared me to death because I thought it was going to get big enough to blind him. But after a few months, it just went away.

I think your dog's warts will just go away, too, if you give them enough time.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment