Monday, December 10, 2012

How come people say milk is bad for dogs?

Q. 2 stories: My husband had a dog when we were dating about 9years ago. He found the dog laying on the ground taking his last breath almost dying and growing up people told us when a dog is sick give them milk. My husband gets the gallon of milk ,opens the dogs mouth and makes the dog drink it. After 5 minutes the dog gets up, almost falling but gets up and starts walking. That dog died of old age.
Another story: My small female chihuahua was coughing and vomiting and I gave her milk, within a few minutes, I no longer heard the cough and she stopped vomiting. Do my dogs just have strong digestive systems or what? Or does Milk really help sick dogs?Just wondering if anyone else has used this on there sick dog?

A. Dogs are supposdly lactose intolerant. My dog drinks milk all the time and he is 10 now and living a healthy life. I think milk calms stomach acid like it does in humans which is why a dog would do well to have some. I think that it just depends on the theory people live by...I say whatever works for you.


What is the best food to feed an underweight large breed dog?
Q. We started a rescue in New Orleans and have gotten several underweight or sick dogs, I am looking for a good food to put weight back on them.If anyone can help please let me know,

A. Please, make the investment to get really good food. Some pet food stores will give you donations because you are a rescuer. If there's a Red Bandanna where you are, check with them. They are good about donations, and any food you get from them is excellent. Anything you can buy in a grocery store pretty much sucks. Those foods (even Purina One and Iams) are filled with by-products and corn, which dogs can't digest. They also spray them with fat to make them taste better. At Petco they have Natural Balance Duck and Potato which is easy on the tummy and will help build them up in a healthy way. Also check out Solid Gold, Avoderm (especially if there's a skin problem, this stuff works wonders), and at PetSmart try Blue Buffalo. And again, if there's a Red Bandanna Food Store in your area, anything they have is awesome. I hope that helps, and good luck!


Can my dogs get sick through me?
Q. I'm vacationing in a foreign country and may have come in contact with some sick dogs. I'm fine but will my dogs at home get sick through me when I go back? In other words, can I be a carrier for dog's infectious diseases?

Thanks.
My dogs get all the annual vaccine and booters from the vet.

A. i think viruses die pretty quickly when exposed to air and especially sunshine....bacteria i'm not so sure of....if you have something that you think may have been contaminated but you cannot wash it, at least put it out it in the sunshine for several hours...good luck


How long does kennel cough last in young dogs?
Q. I'm planning to adopt a dog, but it turns out it got kennel cough. It's only four months old, so how long until the dog would be better if treated? I don't want to bring home a still slightly sick dog because I have an old dog and I don't want her to get sick.

A. First get your other dog treated using the nasal dose (it works better). The cough can last several weeks and is highly contagious. It's not life threatening but can cause complications in an already sick dog. You don't want to expose your other dog to it until you have it cleared up. You will need to keep it in quarantine until it is past the contageous stages.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment