Saturday, December 8, 2012

Where can I find low cost or free Vet service for my cats?

Q. Having financial problems right now and cannot afford a vet. I love my two 'babies' and don't want to give them up, they have been with me a long time. They need attention right now, please does anyone know of a free clinic or a place that offers low cost? I am in the Western New York area. Thank you so much.

A. Although it is not the same as seeing a vet in person you can get good free online veterinary advice at http://www.askavetquestion.com

They also have a list of resources for organizations that can help people who have financial difficulties and need help with their vet care:

http://askavetquestion.com/blog/need-help-paying-for-veterinary-bills/


Where can I find information on different animal careers online?
Q. Hi, I'm looking forward to attending a veterinary college online courses very soon and I wil be the only one out of my family to attend college, I love animals very much so I thought about making a career on this would be great, can someone expirienced give me some great advice on a couple of great top online colleges that people are most likely to hire, for an example, wow that person attended this college, because the person who hires sometimes looks for that certain college or they will pick the person over another because she or he has graduated form this college and can anyone give me an idea, or a website on some great majors that I can look into, I was thinking vet assistant or vet technition, but then I realized that there are more than I thought there are I will highly appreciate it, thank you for your time.

A. I think that there are money programs that are online that employer look upon as NOT good. I would say that your best bet is to go with a University that has some of their courses online and some that you can attend in person. A mix of this type of coursework does not have to be distinguished on a resume. However, if you go somewhere like University of Phoenix, I personally do not think it carries nearly the same weight.

Here is some information on jobs that entail working with animals.

http://online.onetcenter.org/find/result?s=animal&g=Go

If that link doesn't work, go to online.onetcenter.org and search by keyword "animal"

It also has good information about what kind of degrees you should look into for different occupations.


My very old dog does not sleep at night, I would like some advice on strong sleep medication?
Q. I have tried over the counter medicine such as funurgen, polaramine and a small amount of valium but nothing works. She is about 16 years old and sleep most of day which I cannot stop as she below to my elderly mother and finds places to sleep where my mother cannot find her. My vet is reluctant to giver her anything and say that she might become addicted, at her age I don't see that as a major issue.

A. I would not be giving your dog any over the counter medications. When my sheltie was 16 she would stress out during the night. She would forget where she was was. She did alot of roaming around in the room and panting. I put in a Comfort Zone in the room. You can buy them online or in a petstore like PetSmart or PetCo. It gives off a phoromone that helps calm them down. It's like what the mother dogs do to a stressed out puppy. It worked well for her. I only plugged it in at night, so it will last longer than the normal 30 days. I also would give her Rescue Remedy. Its a flower essence and you can take it as well to take the edge off. It's natural, better than pumping medication in her. You can get it in a health store. It comes in a small bottle, but will last you a long time. You would give her 5-6 drops of it. I gave it to her inside of her mouth. It was great giving it to her when we went on car rides too as she would get car sick.

Dog Chick: I forgot that the vet gave her that medication that you mentioned. Shelby did respond well to it. It's not cheap. The vet was surprised how fast she responded to it. I did everything to keep her as comfortable as possible.

OMG, do not give the ACE to your dog. It will slow up the heart rate. I won't give it to any dog especially one that is elderly.


What is the best way to remove tartar from my dog's teeth?
Q. Don't know how this happened, but my dog got some tartar on her teeth, even though her teeth are brushed regularly. Unfortunately, I do not have the money to have a vet remove the tartar for they gave me quite an expensive price (around $470). Luckily it is not that big and hopefully I will be able to remove it. What are the best ways to remove the tartar? And please don't say see a professional, if I were able too, I would.

A. I would leave it to the professionals, they have the training and the tools to effectively remove the tartar build up.


How bad is the tartar build up, if it's only a little bit I wouldn't worry about it, some tartar build up is normal. There are treats, toys, rinses that will help with your dog's dental health. Also feeding your dog dry dog food will help prevent build up, the dry dog food actually helps break up some of the tartar.

You might be able to find some dental tool and instructions online about how to go about manually scraping off some of the tartar, but I would consult you Vet before attempting this yourself.
(imo)
1. it might be really uncomfortable for the dog and he might not sit still for the procedure.
2. if the dog move around you might accidentally stab him in the gums or cause some other injury.
3. you might actually scrape up the teeth leaving little groves, since you don't have a way of polishing the teeth, where plaque and tartar can build up.

At least contact you Vet for advice before trying to do some home dental procedure.


http://www.thevillagevets.com/dentalcare.htm
http://www.chaseviewvets.co.uk/Dog_Health.php
http://www.ingleburnvet.com.au/dental.htm
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1653&aid=384
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ten-dental-cleaning-products-for-pets/page1.aspx
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3433783





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment