Saturday, December 8, 2012

What's the difference between caring for a pig as a pet, and caring for a dog?

Q. I've wanted to have a pet pig my whole life, and I have been doing a lot of research, and everything I read seems to all say the same things, which sound to me, like it's very similar to caring for a dog. Any pet pig owners that are more familiar with it, that can give me some tips? I want to know what I'd be getting myself into. I read that they are very smart, and trainable, and very sociable.

A. Hi there! I have found caring for a pig is sometimes easier and other times more difficult than caring for a dog.

What's similar?
- You feed a pig similarly to a dog. They should be getting half of their pelleted food in the morning and half in the evening.
- Pigs will play with toys but not as much as dogs (predator instincts vs prey instincts)
- Pigs get wound up like dogs. Every once in a while they just get amped up and go zooming around the house a top speed much like dogs do occasionally.
- Pigs can wear harnesses and with a lot of training, can walk on a leash like a dog.
- Pig poo stinks but so does dog poo.
- Pigs are affectionate and cuddly.
- Pigs make noises that let you know what they are thinking (like dogs).
- You train a pig very similarly to a dog (I only smack if he bites and use a squirt with a water bottle to the face for all other corrections).

What's easier?
- Pigs can be litter box trained. My piggy uses a litter box so I don't feel so bad if I am not home to let him out. Also, he nor I want to go outside during the bitter winter months. :)

What's more difficult?
- Pigs are smart and stubborn! Do not expect them to do something just because you want them to. Even if they know it's wrong, he's still going to knock over the garbage can, he will just wait until you leave the room.
- Training is a little more difficult since they do not respond to yelling. I use a squirt bottle for most corrections.
- Pigs are super smart but are dumb as rocks when it comes to food. Hamlet will put everything in his mouth and loves to eat foam. Luckily, they are less prone to blockages than dogs. You will need to 'pig proof' your house more securely than if you were 'dog proofing.'
- You need to find a vet that will take pigs. Do not go to a farm animal vet as they are not used to dealing with pets and could potentially overdose on vaccines/medicine/etc. because they are used to dealing with large farm pigs. I found an exotic animal doctor to take him.

If you want to see video of a mini pig growing up, you can view videos of my Hamlet on YouTube. You can search for 'Hamlet the Mini Pig' or 'PiggyGirl2010.' Feel free to message me on YouTube if you have any other questions. Good Luck!


Responsible Dog Breeders and Pet Owners - how do YOU prevent your dogs from unintended pregnancies?
Q. I've owned intact dogs for 25+ years without an unintended pregnancy.... simply by keeping them separated when b*tches are in season (not rocket science is it?).

How do you prevent unintended pregnancies?

spay/neuter
ship the dog to a kennel when the b*tch is in season
etc...

I want to hear how you do it...!
My email is open - always has been.

A. When my b*tch was in season the dog remained on the top floor of the house, with a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs. When he came down to go into the garden or on walks, he was on a collar & lead. Easy if you engage your brain & use a modicum of common sense!

My dog has not sired any unwanted litters & hormone driven behavior has never been allowed to be a nuisance to other dogs or people

I researched the health benefits of castrating & deduced from the EVIDENCE that it was better to leave a male intact because of the hormonal & skeletal development of the dog.

My b*tch never had an oops litter because I policed her every move & ensured that at no point came into contact with an entire male. I decided that for my sanity I would not keep her indoors for three weeks, but it was a case of lead only walks at off peak times, when I was least likely to encounter other dog walkers. Before she retired, I would not take her to championship shows, as I did not think it would be fair to bench her near mulitiple entact dogs.

In my opinion it's wrong for someone to attempt to force their belief that neutering is the ONLY responsible course of action down the throats of dog owners who are capable of managing the behavior & training of an intact dog & preventing a b*tch from whelping an oops litter.


Can i pet a stray dog without getting any infections/diseases?
Q. I'm in india right now, and there's a lot of stray dogs. If I pet them on top of the head between the ears will i get any diseases?

A. this is what,s called an uncontrolled medical experiment. you were the subject.


How do I get my dog to stop barking when I tell her it is time for a walk?
Q. I have a dog that I adopted from a friend. She is four years old and I do not think she had proper training. She barks when she gets excited, like when I tell her it is time for a walk. She barks and barks and barks and jumps around and it is hard for me to put the leash on her. Do you have any good suggestions to help train her to stop barking when it is time for a W-A-L-K?

I read on my local SPCA website that I could shake a can of pennies or squirt her with a water gun to get her to momentarily stop her from barking then say "good dog" give her a treat. I mean, would that really work?

Do you have any specifics that you have used on your dog to help her stay quiet?
Okay, some of you think I do not like my dog or I am mean. I would like to clarify that I love Corona very much and I am not mean. She just keeps barking and barking and barking LOL when it's time for a W-A-L-K!!
Corona is 1/2 dachsund 1/2 pug and 110% cute

A. Dogs are pack animals. That means that there will always be an alpha unit or top dog. When your dog starts barking in a firm voice tell her "NO". Not mean just firm. If she starts barking again tell her, "Shh" raise one finger to her when she does this. As soon as she stops barking pet her and tell her "Good girl" This should be done in a softer voice. Consistency is the key. Your dog looks to you to be the alpha, it may take a few times but you should see results very quickly. Just remember, you must correct the behavior you don't want immediately and reward the behavior you do want immediately. By making her behave how you want her to, you are the alpha.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment