Sunday, December 9, 2012

Is a real messy home a sign of mental illness?

Q. My brother's wife has never kept a clean house, but this year, it seems to have really gone to the dogs. When a person lives in a home with every room a mess, is this a sign of clinical depression or some other disorder? We do get good exercise each time we visit, climbing over the many piles and obstacles, so we haven't minded it, but should we suggest a visit to a doctor, maybe, if ever they are unable to open the front or back door?

A. More likely it's a sign of filth and sheer laziness, not mental illness. Some people just don't care how nasty they are but, as an example, those with OCD must have their home spotlessly clean and as germ-free as possible, depending on how bad their obsession is. Still, depending on what mental issues one has, they can certainly be filthy. So basically, it depends on the person as to whether their filth is mental or not.


A week ago, I accidentally gave my dog four tubes of Advantage flea control all at once. Is this dangerous?
Q. I later realized that each tube was to last an entire month. She appears to be fine other than slight signs of depression, although I did see those signs before the incident.

A. Ask your vet. Phone call's free. ;)


What are the signs of dog depression? Can heart-worm travel into becoming brainworm?
Q. My dog Morph is/was the worlds smartest dog and a most courageous 4 leg animal. He's mixed pure bred golden retriever and shepard mutt. Understands 3 languages, looks both ways before crossing highway traffic. He defended me by attacking 2 fully grown rottweillers when he was about a year old. He's nearly 10 now but acting so weird.
He has mild heartworm treated for past 2 years, all of his shots. He has always stalked and eats wild muskrats, beaver and the odd rabbit staying mostly outdoors. Now he's crazy won't eat, can't decide what he wants to do. If there were dog taverns he'd be there sucking beer all winter.

A. my heart goes out to him

keep treating him medically, and spend time with him, he'll need his best friends support

ask a vet if your really concerned,


What do I do to alleviate my dogs lonliness after she lost her dog companion?
Q. I had three dogs and had to get rid of two. I kept my oldest dog. She is twelve years old. Since I got rid of the last dog, (who had been with her for 2 years as a puppy of about 6 weeks old) she has been howling a very sad howl in the backyard. I don't know if she is doing this when I am gone, and it is not constant when I am here, only on occasion. Is she mourning the loss of the other dog? Will she get over it eventually? It has been at least a month since the other dog has been gone.

A. Well you 'got rid of' your other dogs and your dog is grieving the loss of her canine family. She obviously had a close bond with the other dogs and her sense of loss and sadness is immense.

It's a normal reaction and had someone 'got rid of' close members of your human family you would probably grieve as your elderly dog is grieving. She will either come to terms with it or she won't, and will withdraw into depression. Bring her inside the house. Don't leave her out in the back yard alone. She needs your care and attention.

I must say I find the term 'got rid of' to be quite clinical. You get rid of garbage, not dogs. Any dog I take on is here for life. I would not part with a dog after I elected to take on responsibility for its welfare. The exception is a rescue dog I take in for training and rehoming. In which case I have the new owner sign a contract that requires them to return the dog to me if it ever needs to be rehomed.

I suppose you had good reason to 'get rid of' your dogs. That, I will never understand unless there is a troublemaker dog who is intent on killing one of the other dogs, in which case the safety of the dogs is paramount.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment