Saturday, December 8, 2012

What is a reasonable fee to have to put down a very sick dog?

Q. We have a very sick dog with a heart worm problem that was diagnosed a little too late.

A. I guess you cared more about cost even to the end, since a heartworm pill given monthly would have prevented that and if not then swift medical attention at the first signs of illness since yes heartworms ARE actually treatable. by medical attention, I don't mean asking on yahoo answers what to do about your sick dogs, since your question history is full of them.


What is with the questions in the dog section?
Q. I am just taking a break from the "politics" section. Things over there get a little crazy. But, the things that I am reading here are just sad.

Back yard breeders, people wanting to shoot their dogs, people not taking an obviously sick dog to the vet, etc etc etc.

Dang, if I wanted to read about animal cruelty I would have gone to the PETA website.

What is wrong with people?

A. Stuff I deal with on a daily basis working at an animal shelter.

"But his fur doesn't match my couch"

"No he's never been to a vet, he's healthy as a horse" (three year old dog)

"If you don't take him I'm going to shoot him"

"We got bored with him, so we got a new puppy"

People suck A LOT. I'd like to think many of the yahoo posts are kids trolling, but sadly I'm sure most of them aren't. It makes me sick how many horrible people live on this earth. It's a good thing that there are enough good people to keep it balanced.


Should new pet owners be required to get an IQ test before being allowed to get a dog?
Q. OMG...After reading most of the questions here on Yahoo Answers Dog section, I just cringe, and feel so bad for so many dogs out there. HOW OLD are the people here? Questions about dogs that have been sick for days....Instead of posting your question on an online group, GET YOUR DOGS TO THE VET.

90% of the questions here can be answered with the following answers:

Get your dog to the vet. Only your Vet can tell you how to treat your sick dog/tell you if your dog is at a healthy weight.

Get your dog spayed/neutered. NO, you don't need to breed your dog. There are too many unwanted dogs already.

Get your dog into pet training. Obedience and behavior training will HELP with the chewing/digging/jumping up/bad behaviors.

So...I'm starting to think there should be an age limit on pet ownership...and probably an IQ test. Far too many common sense questions being posted on here....too many dogs endangered by foolish owners.

Are there any other ADULTS in here?

A. I'm a grandmother but it's questionable as to whether I'm an adult or not at times.LOL
But I agree that a I.Q. test may be helpful.Then I truly think every county should require so many hours of "people training"before a person is allowed to own any animal.
People don't seem to know how to treat their own children so how can we expect them to deal with a dog?


Is anyone in here as scared as I am about some of the dangerous answers posted to questions?
Q. I come in here and answer questions on breeding, fleas and ticks, and other various dog and house and garden questions. However, when I do, I see so many dangerous answers and I get scared! There was a question the other day about a dog that ate a bottle of Terro ant killer. The asker said that the vet told her Borax is harmless to pets! Ummm, it is a poison. I looked at the MSDS (material safety data sheet) and it wasn't at all "harmless". I have read answers that said to use sevan dust on dogs and puppies. (Only if you want dead or sick dogs and puppies.) One person wants you to burn a tick off a dog. (Have you ever tried to light a match or lighter near a wiggling dog?) How about the old "rub the dog's nose in his business" or "hit him with a newspaper" comments.

Is there anything dangerous that I have missed? Does this worry anyone else?

A. Kats what I have seen some people say here would make most other people's hair turn white. I do recall all the questions you have mentioned and also one about what you should do if your dog is chocking. One response was to massage your dogs throat. I flipped out. I only hope the questioner didn't do that because it was on a Doxi. The poor dog would have died.
The only thing I try to do is I will e-mail some else who does know the proper response to the question if I don't know. Then I can only hope that the other person will be available to quickly answer it.
Common sense is in short supply but I could not justify any answer given by me that would do harm to anyone's animal.
I'm with you, It does concern me greatly.
Ignorance, old wives tales, no common sence seem to be abundance here some times.
NOTE: I remember this one too. Used motor oil on a dog to get rid of mange. ?????





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment