Sunday, December 9, 2012

What kind of undergrad degree do people get in order to become a veterinarian ?

Q. I'm really confused... Everywhere I look online they just say you must graduate with an undergraduate degree. If there isn't a specific degree, then can you give me a list of degrees to choose from in order to get into a vet school?

A. Vet school, like other professional doctorates (med school, law school, dental, pharmacy), doesn't require a specific undergraduate major. As long as you include the required pre-vet courses (sciences and maths) in your degree, you can major in anything.


Have you ever used an online reference for a pet-sitter that comes to your home to feed and let your dogs out?
Q. I was online looking for a place to board my dogs while we're away on vacation and came accross these sites that have dog-sitters who come to your home to feed your dogs and let them out daily. It seems legit and they say they're licensed. Just wasn't sure how safe this was and how often people do this? They offer a visit discuss to everything but you're still giving these people the keys to your home. Thanks.

A. The only references you should ever trust are from your own veterinarian. If you need a professional petsitter - which is a very good service, and can keep your dogs safe and happy - ask your vet. they will know the ones that are good, and often their own vet techs moonlight as petsitters themselves.

Just remember, these people will have full access to your home, and you need to make sure you know who they are, and that they also will be responsible with your dogs. It does not require any kind of a license, so things can happen - but when it works, it can be an excellent service, and can keep your dogs from being stressed away from home.


I am looking for a homeopathic veterinarian in central Ohio. Can anyone help me?
Q. I have been through the yellow pages both in the book and online. I've even done a lot of research online regarding the topic, but haven't yet been able to locate someone. Thanks for any (serious) help you can give me!

A. Hi Jen...I have found that by contacting and speaking with several local veterinarians someone will know a colleague locally who provides homeopathic treatments. Nearly all vets usually work cooperatively to offer clients alternative treatment options.


What are the requirements to be a Veterinarian in Canada?
Q. I'm a Senior in High School and I would like to be a veterinarian in Canada. The problem is that I am not in the science package which comprises of Biology, Physics and Chemistry. Can I still become a vet? If yes, what do I have to do to become one?
So does it matter if I take the 3 sciences in High school or not?

A. You need all 3 sciences, and math at the grade 12 level. Those are the most important. My Uncle, who is a cancer researcher for dogs, told me it would help if you got an undergraduate degree in something Biology related. For example, some sort of cell biology.

You can try and catch up and get all 3 sciences from online courses, or taking summer courses.

Cheers.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment