Sunday, December 9, 2012

Best food brand for a growing newfoundland?

Q. I do not have a newfoundland yet, I am just in the research process for what the dog would need. I know I should follow my vets advice regarding these sorts of things, but what food brands would be best for a growing newfoundland?

A. there are many great high quality foods that I recommmend some of these include:

Wellness
Taste of the Wild
Canidae
Blue Buffalo
Innova
Evo
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
Solid Gold
AvoDerm
Merrick

you can go to http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com and click on reviews. try to stay with a food in the 4-6 star range, if you are wondering why... go and click on some in the 1-3 star pages and compare the ingredients.

your dogs food should always contain Meat as the first 4 ingredients at the least, no corn, no grains, no fillers or by products.

I know you mentioned following your vets advice but let me assure you that, that is not true when it comes to food. Vets actually do not undergo education in the nutrition area, and most of them recommend crap like Science Diet because they actually get paid to stock that stuff in their offices, when it is one of the worst foods you could feed any pet.

foods you want to STAY AWAY FROM are:
Iams
Pedigree
Beneful
Eukanuba
Ol'Roy
Purina
basically anything that you can buy at walmart, these are called "grocery brands" and no matter what that bag says, they have absolutely NO nutritional value for your pet.


What's your best remedy for dissolving calcium deposits (spurs, splints) in your performance horse?
Q. I'm looking for vet advice on external leg paint, and internal supplemention to help dissolve some recent calcium deposits that showed up on a X-ray in horse's foot (pastern joint). The deposits have gotten larger since Dec. '06 when first discovered, and my horses's performance is starting to suffer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My vet suggested putting him on Legend and Adequan monthly IV injections.

A. Listen to your vet. Don't mess around with otc stuff for this.


Can I crush a oral canine papilloma on my own ?
Q. I read that crushing the papilloma will stimulate the immune system fight off the virus. However, I can't find any specifics on how it is done (besides using a hemostat) or if it needs to be performed by a vet. Advice and experiences are appreciated.

A. You need a vet to do it if it is going to be done. But dog warts usually go away on their own. If they don't, then removal and a BIOPSY are called for. Here's a site that tells you about it:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_viral_papillomas.html

My dog grew a wart on his eyelid, and it scared me to death because I thought it was going to get big enough to blind him. But after a few months, it just went away.

I think your dog's warts will just go away, too, if you give them enough time.


Is it normal for a cat to get black nose boogers?
Q. Please don't post opinions. Only answer if u know for sure. I found a lot of people have posted this same quesion on the Internet so it must be common. What causes it? Hoping for vet advice.

A. Yes cats get boogers and they are always black too,its dust gathering up mixed with their moist nose it gets crusty on the edges as it dries, so that's the boogers we get to see,

you will see them on the corners of the eyes too,i always clean it up with my finger for my cat as soon as i put my finger to her nose she moves her head about to be sure they are gone,

i do the same for her eyes too i don't mind my own cats boogers! so if you have central heating you will notice regular ones, as the air gets dried with dust so cats breath it in,

not to worry its so common and we notice it more with cats who have a paler coloured face,not a vet just common sense after always having cats,hope this helps.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment