Sunday, December 9, 2012

What options are there when deciding to become a vet (where you work, what animals you work with)?

Q. I'm a high schooler with great grades, and I was considering going to college and then vet school. However, I was wondering what different options I have as vet. Can I work work with animals in the wild, or farm animals, or what? Any help would be appreciated since I don't know much about being a veterinarian.

Thanks!

A. You should check out the American Veterinary Medical Association web page, especially their "About Veterinarians" section (link below). Basically, the answer to your question is, "yes." Vets do choose their specialty -- whether specific animals or specific types of problems/illnesses. I worked at a veterinary hospital that treated "large" and "small" animals ("large" usually refers to livestock, "small" usually refers to cats and dogs and may also include "exotic" pets such as ferrets, rabbits, rats, mice, reptiles, birds). We also treated wild animals sometimes. One of the veterinarians on staff specialized in bone surgeries and was well-respected in the area for his skill.

There are usually entry level positions at veterinary hospitals that don't require any medical training (cleaning kennels/cages, walking animals). There may be age requirements, but perhaps it might be possible for you to try working in the field now. The veterinary hospital I worked at usually had a couple interns from a high school vocational program. They had the opportunity to participate in the actual medical stuff. First hand experience is the best way to figure out if you really want to be a veterinarian.


Does anyone know where I can get free web site agreement forms?
Q. I am starting up a web site but need a user agreement form but all the ones I have checked have a fee attached. Does anyone know a web site where free user agreement or the like can be found for free?
Barry C; thank you for the answer, but is not copying from some one else's web site an infringement on their copyright?

A. how about just copying from some other site? Most are pretty boiler plate.

but, be warned, if you don't have your own attorney vet them, don't expect them to hold up and be enforceble at all.

just saying....


Why are people asking a web site questions for OBVIOUS medical emergencies?
Q. I have read so many questions pertaining to sick animals that obviously need to be seen NOW by a vet - instead they are waiting for answers to questions from here - this makes no sense!
Cats with broken legs, kittens stepped on and bleeding, kittens stuck while being born - those are all obvious emergencies and Ive seen almost everyone that has any sense tell them to call a vet!

A. Probably just becasue there freaked out like anybody would be in that situation, not only that the vet is very expensive and if there is something they could do without taking the animal to the vet they should try it right, not only that how are you suppose to know if you dont ask


What do I need to know to help my daughter get into vet school?
Q. I'm planning ahead. I've been told there are very few vet schools and extremely limited enrollment. Also that there is no tuition assistance.: i.e. scholarships or grants. What are the pre-reqs?Was I told right? How much does it cost? How long is the program? How many get accepted each year? How many schools? Where? Should she consider schools outside this country?

A. If you go to ask.com and ask about veterinary school programs it'll give you a list of all of the schools in the country. I'd check their web sites for information on aid. I know that it used to be (20 yrs ago when I had more than one friend applying) that vet schools only interviewed the top 7% of their applicants and only accepted the top 3%. My friend who got in had a 3.7 or 3.8 GPA.

Another thing to check out is where most of their applicants are coming from. The undergraduate program at the same university is not necessarily the best prep for the vet school. I would think that she'd be better off going to vet school in the US.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment