Sunday, December 9, 2012

Can swelling of the glands of a dog cause pancreatitis symptoms?

Q. Can swelling of the glands of a dog cause pancreatitis symptoms? She has a lot of the symptoms, but can the glands in her rear-end cause the same things?

A. No. If a dog has impacted anal glands there's no similarity whatsoever with a dog with pancreatitis. A dog with pancreatitis is violently sick, throwing up, diarrhea, in a lot of pain.


My schnauzer was diagnosed today with pancreatitis. Anyone else have this happen to their dog?
Q. He's about 9 years old. The illness came on very suddenly with vomiting and bloody diarrhea (TMI, sorry). The vet seems to think he is a pretty sick little dog. Has anything like this happened to anyone else's dog? Thanks for any help.

A. Hi Randi -

Yes. I have had a schnauzer in the same situation. I adopted a 2 year old blond schnauzer from an animal shelter in 2002. He was fine until he reached 4-1/2 years of age. Although he didn't have severe symptoms I knew something wasn't right. He was bloated more often, had abdominal discomfort, wouldn't eat as often. I was concerned so I took him in to our veterinarian who diagnosed him as having pancreitis. He informed me that miniature schnauzers are more prone to this pancreitis, not that it doesn't occur in other breeds too. Our veterinarian suggested he stay on a Science Diet prescription diet since he had such a sensitive stomach. Although it wasn't necessarily the least expensive way to feed him, I did it and of course he recovered quickly. He did very well in the years to follow while on the same old Science Diet prescription food. He actually liked it. While his death was not caused from complications from his pancreitis diagnosis, I did loose him in 2006 at the age of 6. Four years later I still miss him terribly. He was a blessing in my life. Still is.

They can live with pancreitis and do well but in my case I can't offer any information about an older schnauzer like yours. Your veterinarian knows what to do. :)

I hope your schnauzer gets much better and enjoys many more years with you. =o)


what soft dog food can i feed my sick dog?
Q. My dog has Valley fever & Canine Vestibular Syndrome. Its very hard to get her to eat. Right now I'm feeding her soft food a combination of rice drained ground beef mixed with wet canned dog food. I need something else to get her appetite going.

A. A few suggestions:

Merrick canned foods are very appealing to dogs.

If you are worried about stomach upset from changing foods, you can put her dry food into a food processor and grind it up; take a mixture of 1/2 peanut butter 1/2 water and warm in microwave to create a slurry; stir the ground up dry food into the mixture and form into small balls you can hand-feed.

Try scrambled eggs or meat baby food (make sure the baby food doesn't contain onion).

There are high calorie vet prescription foods you can feed short-term. I used Hill's AD and had to syringe-feed a critically ill dog. You can also purchase a high calorie supplement called Nutri-cal. It comes in a container like a toothpaste tube.

I had a dog that had Vestibular disease too. It was very hard for him to lower his head to eat. I had to hold his water bowl for him to drink and hand feed him as he recovered. Even when the symptoms passed, he would only eat from one side of his bowl and I needed to be near at mealtime to rotate the dish 180 degrees.

Good luck.


I went from perfectly fine to very sick in a matter of 10 minutes?
Q. how can this happen? i did not feel ill at all, and then suddenly, i sneezed three times and ten minutes later i was full blown sick, with a runny nose (dripping like crazy!) and sick like a dog!

how is it that symptoms come on like this? when i was a kid, i could ALWAYS feel sickness coming on, but now, this is the second time it's been SUDDEN like this. any ideas what causes sudden sickness like this? is this normal?

A. That's usually how the flu works. There is no warning beforehand. It literally hits like a ton of bricks! Your common cold gives you warning and you don't feel as ill as you do with the flu. That's another clue that you have caught the flu virus.

Drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest! You might consider seeing a doc, there are meds that can actually be given to reduce your symptoms and shorten the duration of how long you're ill.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment