Sunday, December 9, 2012

How do I get my dog to stand grooming better?

Q. I have a six month old Samoyed puppy. If you know the breed, you know they need A LOT of grooming. If you don't know the breed, here's an overview- they are big husky type dogs, but completely white with a double coat that needs a lot of brushing.

Right now whenever I groom my puppy, I give her a Kong, a bone, or another brush to chew on. However, if she doesn't have any of these, she'll go crazy and try to bite the brush. Even with these, its hard to groom her on her stomach because she'll drop her bone and so try to bite her brush.

I would like to know if anyone has any tips on getting her to remain calm with occasional treats every few minutes as a groom her (like a show dog). It's also worth mentioning that she is fantastic in the bath- just sits there and lets us do anything to her!

Finally, I wondered if anyone knew any volumizing shampoos for dogs. Her hair is pretty limp, and since she gets fed a good diet think it might be the shampoo that we are using.

A. At 6 months she is allowed to be playful!

Feed her first, so the tummy is nice and full, have some treats ready for rewarding "good" behaviour.

Most of all, be very very gentle. Some dogs try to bite the brush because they feel it s uncomfortable for them.

For good coat you can't go past a a raw egg yolk twice a week. (ONLY the YOLK!!!)


What supplies do I need if my dog has puppies?
Q. Im getting a dog. I want it to have puppies w/ my cousins dog.The type of dog is a Bichon Frise', if it makes a difference.

A. you will need a whelping box for the dog to have her puppies in, bulb syring for cleaning out the nose and mouth if the mother is slow at doing it or doesnt do it all, lots of towels and or blankets so you can keep changing them during the delivery process, a pair of scissors so you can cut the cord if the mother doesnt do it, string to tie off the cord before you cut it, bottles in case for some reason the momma cant nurse them, goats milk on hand, for the same reason, and i would also suggest you get some advise from an experianced breeder to get some helpful info before you breed cause anything can go wrong during the pregnancy and labor process, I hope this has helped and good luck with breeding and i wanted to let you know alot of people dont want to help other people start out at breeding,, but i see that people have to start somewhere, and i have no problem trying to help someone that wants to breed their dog but if your breeding for money then that is a bad reason to breed,, I hope i have helped and Happy Holidays,, if you have any other questions please feel free to email me
Edit:
I forgot to mention that you will need a set of baby scales to weigh the puppies from the day they are born and every day untill you place them with their new homes so you can make sure that they arent losing weight,
also another thing that i do for my puppies is that i get differant colors of collars so i can tell them apart and a journal book to wright down when the first one is born and so on and the weight for each one, identifying them by the collar


What dog breed is the dog in The Proposal?
Q. I think the puppy in the movie The Proposal is adorable!
If anyone has seen that movie and know what type of dog breed the puppy is, please let me know!

A. That was the cutest dog I think I've ever seen. It looked like a Samoyed to me.

http://www.petyourdog.com/images/dog%20breeds/samoyed_puppy2.jpg


How do I pick a big headed bullmastiff puppy?
Q. I am curious how to choose a big headed bullmastiff , Or any bull type dog for that matter. Wht characteristics as puppies are signs of having a large head in adulthood? Thanks.

A. The head should always be proportionate to the body. Bullmastiffs are not supposed to have unusually large heads. Read the standard. You can see if they have the potential to have a *correct* head by looking at the parents. That being said, at 8 weeks it's nearly impossible to predict what a pup will mature out like. That's why you want to buy from a responsible breeder who knows their lines back many generations.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment