Saturday, December 8, 2012

Where can I find free vet advice online?

Q. Where can I find free veterinary advice online? Some where that is completely free and get a response very quickly.
I think that she is pregnant, but I know there is something called false pregnancy with dogs just trying to figure out if it is a real pregnancy or not.
Called the vet and they said not to bring her in for at least another 2 weeks.

A. Call a vet. They will usually give you advice for free.


Where can I find information on different animal careers online?
Q. Hi, I'm looking forward to attending a veterinary college online courses very soon and I wil be the only one out of my family to attend college, I love animals very much so I thought about making a career on this would be great, can someone expirienced give me some great advice on a couple of great top online colleges that people are most likely to hire, for an example, wow that person attended this college, because the person who hires sometimes looks for that certain college or they will pick the person over another because she or he has graduated form this college and can anyone give me an idea, or a website on some great majors that I can look into, I was thinking vet assistant or vet technition, but then I realized that there are more than I thought there are I will highly appreciate it, thank you for your time.

A. I think that there are money programs that are online that employer look upon as NOT good. I would say that your best bet is to go with a University that has some of their courses online and some that you can attend in person. A mix of this type of coursework does not have to be distinguished on a resume. However, if you go somewhere like University of Phoenix, I personally do not think it carries nearly the same weight.

Here is some information on jobs that entail working with animals.

http://online.onetcenter.org/find/result?s=animal&g=Go

If that link doesn't work, go to online.onetcenter.org and search by keyword "animal"

It also has good information about what kind of degrees you should look into for different occupations.


What are some tips for being a veterinary technician assistant?
Q. The job I have a working interview for does not call it a veterinary assistant position. They call it veterinary technican assistant, where one would be assisting the technician with fecals, blood work, monitoring anesthesia, UA's, filling prescriptions,etc. Perhaps this IS the role of a veterinary assistant and this vet is just using a different type name for it.

Anyway, any tips for working this type of position? I have been a veterinary receptionist, but have never helped out in the back. I would really like this job, so any tips, or advice would be great!! Thanks.

A. Keep your eyes open, take notes and don't be afraid to ask why or how something is done. Then after each day's work go home and read over your notes from that day on procedures at the clinic and then review them again before you go into work. This will help you to pick up on things much more quickly.

Ask your employer if they have training videos that you can take home to watch. Or if they have a training manuel that you can read.


There are great resources out there for training veterinary assistants (veterinary technician assistant is another term for it), including online programs that are offered through colleges or by companies run by veterinary professionals and these can really help give you an edge by giving you alot of basic information that can be used in any veterinary facility. One of these programs that you can do online is: http://www.4rsvp.com/cva-classes/ Or you can review training vidoes from http://site.4act.com/training-your-staff/

And if you really like the work, consider getting your degree in veterinary technology so that you can become a credentialed veterinary technician


How do you tell genders of rabbits?
Q. I got two rabbits about four months ago on the belief that they were both males. I found three dead babies in the cage and have since seperated the rabbits but I have no idea which is which. I don't want to wait and see if the female (whichever one that is) is pregnant and will have more babies. I went online and looked up how but the instructions confuse me. Can someone explain to me the process?

A. To check the sex, put the rabbit in your lap on its back. There are two openings between the legs very close to each other. The bottom opening, closest to its tail, is the anus. Put your finger just above the top opening and gently push down. If you're doing this correctly, the genitals will protrude from the opening. A female has a slit that runs from top to bottom. A male has a tiny penis that sticks up with a tiny hole at the tip.

Here is a link with excellent photos - http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/sexing-rabbits.html#rabbitsex





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment