Monday, December 10, 2012

How do you get a quaker to let you pet him?

Q. We got a quaker from my husbands brother and its bonded with him real well, but not so good for my daughter and I. Well, now at least he will come and sit on me but none of us can pet his head. I'm getting tired of getting bitten, and he bites hard! Hes about 4 or 5 years old and don't seem to have been handeled much.

Is there any way we can get him to let us pet him?

A. You didn't say how long you have had the bird. They have to get to know you. But sometimes they do bond with just one person. Seeing that you got the bird from your husbands brother , your husband probably reminds the bird of his old owner, so that is why he bonded with him first. Try giving the bird treats, such as sunflower seeds, if you do this every day, maybe he'll get more friendly towards you.


How to tame chickens enough so you can pick them up and/or pet them?
Q. We have a few chickens who are smart enough to eat out of our hands and go back to their pen a few hours after we let them out.

How can we have them let us pet them or pick them up?

Because sometimes we want them to get off something (like our crops) without having to scare them, and I kinda wanna pet 'em when they're good or something, instead of just giving them bread and veggies for treats. :)

Possible or no? If it is, then how do we do it?

A. Yes you can, but yes it may take a little while.
Food is always good to assist you.
They do like a pat! :D I used to pick them up and pat them for an hour sometimes (after that they'd probably have pooped on me! so i'd have to let go! :S ewwwy)
But yes, gradually try and get closer to them while your feeding them.
Get something like bread/veggies scraps, and sit down nearby and have a coffee(?), gradually move the scraps or whatever you feed them closer to you each time.


Why does my cat seem to have a foot fetish?
Q. If given the choice, my cat, TC, would rather rub up against either my feet or my fiance's, rather than let us pet him with our hands. This is the first cat I've ever had that is like this, so I have to ask, is this normal? Why does he do this?

A. he is marking your feet as "his" territory...when he rubs his face against you, he is leaving his scent....your cat loves you and your fiance...he is telling you so...


Will this new Bearded Dragon get used to us?
Q. I just got an adult female Bearded Dragon whose previous owners had to go overseas. I already have one and they are both getting along fine.
It is very tame, let's us pet it but does not let us hold it very long, and is extremely squirmy.
My first BD I have had for a year and acts the same way when anyone other than myself or my daughter holds her.
I'm assuming the new one acts so crazy because it doesn't know us. Do you think it will eventually bond with us and be calmer someday?

A. She sure will eventually get used to you and calm down.

I got an adult male who would freak out anytime I picked him up. But it took about a month or so an now he is the one that climbs the tank when I come into the room and loves to ride around on my shoulder or sit in my lap while I am on the computer





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment