Sunday, December 9, 2012

Roughly how much would an ultrasound scan cost for a rabbit in the uk?

Q. My rabbit is ill. She has improved slightly following the vets advice as I have been treating her at home with the drugs they gave me but I still think she is in pain and we can't work out why. If it's dental she'll need an xray but she is weak and it isn't a good idea to anaethatise her. I'm looking at an ultrasound to see if she has a blockage/tumor or something like that but I can't find out how much this will cost until Monday. Does anyone know roughly how much this would be in England?

Thanks in advance

A. Why do you not just ask you vet how much it would cost or, if he does not do it, ask him to refer you to someplace that does. I am sure they would quote you the price.


How do you feed your cat?
Q. I took the vets advice and only give her two scoops of food a day. However, sometimes she doesn't eat it all at once....so I will usually give her a scoop in the morning, and one at night. Am I suppose to leave her food out like this? (It's dry food), or should I be feeding her and making sure she finishes everything and not leaving food around?

A. I leave my cat's dry food available at all times for my cats. Cats are nibblers, they go back and forth through the day to their food. There isn't any way you're going to force her to finish everything if she's not that hungry, Just let her set her own eating ways that nature instilled in her.


Can roundworms be present in a negative fecal sample?
Q. We took vet advice and went with a 1/2 pill of Drontal Plus now and then again in 3 weeks for our new 8 week old puppy that had not been de-wormed yet NO worms were found in feces. Vet said roundworm eggs that are microscopic could still be present even on the coat of the dog and urged regular handwashing for my 10 year old who over does that already. He said in some individuals blindness had occurred in those infected with roundworm-mainly children. We are washing our hands FREQUENTLY now as my daughter became quite scared of the pup as a result. Any practical advice to calm the excessive handwashing out there re: puppy as a possible contaminant? On the internet, the CDC publishes th10,000 new cases of infection with roundworm and 700 cases of permanent visual loss in children mainly 5-10. My daughter, thank God is healthy and with the negative sample, I just have her wash hands after playing with the pup and prior to eating as the vet said. Anyone aware of this or have advice?

A. We look for parasite eggs microscopically when we are trying to detect worms. Sometimes the worms just aren't shedding any eggs in the stool that day, or the sample wasn't adequate to test properly. So YES, the pup can have worms but test negative. At our practice, we test the stool each time the pup comes in for a booster vaccine. Sometimes we don't detect some parasites until the 2nd or 3rd visit! Your vet did the right thing by deworming your puppy anyway. Parasites are a possible health risk, especially to children and immuno-compromised people.

Pick up your puppys stool and dispose of it. Don't let it sit outside to contaminate the yard and cause reinfection. Wash hands after playing with the puppy and after playing outside. Wear shoes outside. These worms can live for years in the soil and may be spread by roaming cats and dogs as well. Keep your puppy on a heartworm prevention monthly that will also keep him dewormed for intestinal parasites as well. Most puppies and kittens are born with roundworms. Don't be afraid of your puppy! Just follow your vets advice and you should do just fine.


Best food brand for a growing newfoundland?
Q. I do not have a newfoundland yet, I am just in the research process for what the dog would need. I know I should follow my vets advice regarding these sorts of things, but what food brands would be best for a growing newfoundland?

A. there are many great high quality foods that I recommmend some of these include:

Wellness
Taste of the Wild
Canidae
Blue Buffalo
Innova
Evo
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul
Solid Gold
AvoDerm
Merrick

you can go to http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com and click on reviews. try to stay with a food in the 4-6 star range, if you are wondering why... go and click on some in the 1-3 star pages and compare the ingredients.

your dogs food should always contain Meat as the first 4 ingredients at the least, no corn, no grains, no fillers or by products.

I know you mentioned following your vets advice but let me assure you that, that is not true when it comes to food. Vets actually do not undergo education in the nutrition area, and most of them recommend crap like Science Diet because they actually get paid to stock that stuff in their offices, when it is one of the worst foods you could feed any pet.

foods you want to STAY AWAY FROM are:
Iams
Pedigree
Beneful
Eukanuba
Ol'Roy
Purina
basically anything that you can buy at walmart, these are called "grocery brands" and no matter what that bag says, they have absolutely NO nutritional value for your pet.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment