Saturday, December 8, 2012

What High School Classes Should I Be Taking If I Cannot Make Up my Mind On What Career I Want?

Q. There is not one carrer I can say I want, which according to my teachers and my parents is imparative even though I am only in the 9th grade.

The problem I am having is I cannot find a career that seems to completly satisfy me. The ones I like are:

Veternarian or Vet Tech
Ultrasound Technologist
Writer
Zookeeper
Lawyer
Kennel Attendant
Chef

They are telling me to make a decision so I can pick my classes. Can I just pick classes that fit into all of the categories?

I want to take:

Culinary Skills
Medical Terminology/CPR-First Aid
Animal Science/Sm. Animal Tech
Speech
Journalism
All the Math, Science, and English I can take

Should I take:

Microbiology/Intro to Health Careers
Intro to Nursing/Human Growth

HOSA- The Health Occupational Students of America Club

Any info you can give me on these careers or what to take to make things eaiser is much appreciated.

Thanks.

A. I would first start by getting a good strong background in Math, Science, and English - you will need all of these in any career you choose. Spend most of your time concentrating on these. You can ask your guidance counselor to obtain a career aptitude test, it will show you your strong points and the careers you'd be best and happiest at according to different questions you fill out. These tests are very good, I used to administer them when I worked at a vocational rehabilitation department for out state. Hope this helps, and I congratulate you on thinking ahead for your future. Good Luck!


How do you make a cat follow you?
Q. Okay so there's this stray walking around my building and I feel SO BAD. I want to take care of it till it recovers and give it a home, but I don't want to scare it off nor touch it (yet) . And is there anyway a certain food at homee can attract it to follow me?? I love pets and wish to be a veternarian.

A. This is a bit of a difficult question simply because it's an outdoor cat.

I have several around my property, most will scatter when I approach being leary of people but one stopped in his tracks and ran to me, jumping up and down and wanting to be held. He surprised me apparently more than I did him. Needless to say we had him checked for a chip and after a few days of hanging around he walked right into my house and has been a part of the family for almost a year.

I would think and it has been my experience that most outdoor cats are very cautious of people. Sadly, in my youth I heard people talk about poisoning or hurting cats that came onto their property and I know the animals feelings are usually justified.

With Joey - my stray, I put a bowl of kibble out and would sit out with him while he ate. Even though he was clearly friendly I was cautious not to hold him or coddle him too much seeing as how I was unaware of his overall temperament. He would come back and eat several times and I would step outside on occasion and each day he would greet me.

When I finally decided to give him a home, I first checked to see if he was micro-chipped. He wasn't so I waited a couple of weeks to see if any would claim him before having him fixed and his fleas removed.

I know what it's like to feel bad for the strays. There are still several on my land that make me wonder but I can never get too close. Besides that, if I took them all in there would be no room for me!

The best thing I could suggest would to be put some food out to see if he/she is interested. If you can try to be around when it eats and speak softly to it, baby talk. Don't be in a rush to pick it up and let it come to you on it's own time. Trying to make it follow you with food or catnip could spook it and actually do more damage in the long run than any good. Be patient and when and if the cat finally lets you into its inner circle, just be calm and reassuring.

I did this with Joey and now whenever the vacuum starts he runs into my arms because he knows it's safe there. He practically bowls me over in the process but his trust feels good.

I wish you the best of luck!


Military:This is a serious question, but do dogs ever serve in combat?
Q. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but this is a serious question. They have bomb sniffing dogs, do they ever serve in combat?

A. Military Working Dog (MWD) teams are in short supply, but they perform a function vital for force protection. An estimated 2,300 working dogs were serving within the U.S. Department of Defense in 2004, the vast majority being German and Dutch shepherds and Belgian Malinois. These dogs, along with their handlers from every military service, are deployed worldwide to support the war on terror, helping to safeguard military bases and activities and to detect bombs and other explosives before they inflict harm.

The MWD teams are an intregal part of the U.S. mission in Iraq and Afghanistan, devoting many hours to carrying out all the traditional roles of military dogs. Guard duty is a basic MWD function, but their responsibilities today will include base security, individual and crowd control, tracking, and explosive and narcotic detection. Most dogs are dual-purpose trained: police dogs first, then with a specialty skill such as bomb detection.

In Iraq and Afghanistan, several hundred Military Working Dogs perform their duties in heat and sandstorms, just like their handlers and other soldiers. Heat exhaustion is a major concern and there must be frequent breaks and ample water to cope with it. In 2004, civilian volunteers worked with the military to provide Doogles and other comfort items for the MWDs to protect them and make them more effective (photo above, left).

Another issue is access to veternarians. Only a few are deployed with U.S. forces and they are thinly spread. The armed services cooperate so an USAF dog may be treated by a Navy Corpsman.
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_wardogs_today.php
http://dogblog.dogster.com/2008/05/23/military-dogs-in-iraq-considered-best-partners/
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/military-dogs-in-iraq-its-no-walk-in-the-park/page1.aspx
http://www.defenselink.mil/home/features/2006/working-dogs/index.html


How long do female dogs bleed while in heat?
Q. This is the first time our 15 month old Shih-Tzu has went into heat. Our veternarian recommended that we do not have her spayed until after her heat cycle is finished, so we are taking all the extreme precautions so she doesn't get pregners. My question, though, is that she has been spotting for almost 4 weeks now! Is this normal or too long?

A. I have a pug, she's fixed now, but before that, she would bleed for about 4 weeks. I take her to work with me everyday, so she has to wear her little panties & pads ~ changing her was a real pain! So we are glad that we dont' have to do that anymore! So, four weeks is pretty normal.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment