Monday, December 3, 2012

Ok, my husband works shift work and often my two daughters (4 and 1) are left home alone at all hours.?

Q. I don't sleep well and experience insomnia at night. (my husband is gone from 5pm till 8am) Also I feel desperately paranoid. I dislike dependence on guns and fear for my children if sleeping near one. Does this qualify me to get a dog in a apartment complex that only allows service pets?

A. In the U.S. to have and use a service dog, the person must meet the legal definition of "disabled" as set forth by the U.S. Department Of Justice contained in the Americans With Disabilities Act Amendments Act. No legal determination of disability = no service dog. Simply having a "disorder" does not mean one is disabled. Being "impaired" is not the same as being disabled. Having a doctor give one a "diagnosis" is not the same as being disabled. Having a doctor write a "note" does not make a pet a service dog. Paying some scam website for a phoney-baloney "certificate" does not magically turn a pet into a service dog, and the "certificates" aren't legal or worth the paper they are printed on. The person MUST meet the legal definition of disabled.


Then the dog must be individually trained in work or tasks which directly mitigate the effects of the qualifying disability (the dog must do something that the person is unable to do for themselves because of their disability).The simple presence of the animal is not a legal task or work under the law. "Feeling better" because the dog is there does not qualify as a task or work under the law. The dog must actually be trained to do something. The dog must also be trained to behave properly when in the public venue, and be under the handlers control at all times. The work or task MUST be related to the qualifying disability.

To have an ESA in "no pets" housing, one must still meet the legal definition of "disabled" that is the same for a service dog, but an ESA has no mitigating task training.

Either way, the first thing you have to do is to be sure you meet the legal definition of "disabled". Begin there.


How would I go about finding a job as a live in houskeeper/cook?
Q. I am a divorced mother with a 10 year old daughter and extensive background in management, food service, and pet care. In addition, I own a small cleaning business. After a broken engagement I have been contemplating a deliberate move to start over somewhere else. With a beautiful intelligent daugher in tow, I would hope to find employment in a good school district.
I grew up and now live in a small town, which I have always loved. How would I find a (RESPECTABLE) farm or large family in a rural area? How do I check them out before bothering to apply? Do people even need women like me anymore?
Where would the best areas be to begin searching?

A. I don't know what area of the country you are in but if I were looking, I would begin in a region that had suitable weather. As a Northerner, the climate in the deep south would not suit me at all but you will make that determination for yourself.
Once you decide what climate you prefer, you should do a web search on schools. You want the best possible school for that precious baby!

Good Luck!!


Should I board my dog or use a dog sitter?
Q. My husband and I are planning a vacation for the end of this year and will be gone about 5 days. My dog is a year and a half and has never been left without us. SHe's very attached to us, sleeps in the bed, barks and cries when we leave for work everyday. I've never used a kennel/boarding service or pet sitter. I've heard that boarding dogs can be traumatic but i'm also somewhat untrusting in letting someone come into my house. I'm also not comfortable with leaving my dog alone at night. What should i do? Any advice is appreciated!
if possible should i try to take her with me? how hard is it taking pets on vacation?

A. Personally, I would use kennel your dog. Make sure you get references and check out the facilities. Some are quite nice. Some offer extra play time and special rooms with TVs and nice runs for the dogs to play.

I would not trust a dog sitter as I have had to pick up friends dogs who have escaped or run off when the dog sitter is there.

I also had a horrible experience with one who watched my dog. We were burglarized just a week after we got back.

Also many kennels will train your dog while you are away. It can actually be a pleasant experience for her. When you kennel your dog you will always come home to a better behaved pet.

She will be safer at the kennel and you can rest easy knowing that she is being supervised 24/7. I would always go with a kennel for my dogs sake. Take her there for a short visit so she can get used to it before you go away.


Is there a service that will ship your pets on a small airplane ?
Q. I heard of a charter service for your pets . They will transfer your pets personally for you so you dont have to worry about the big airlines

A. Well, If you dont want them to sit with you or they are too big to, you can keep them in baggage area down below. Call the airlines you plan to fly out of and ask what there services are. Here is a site that is helpful when traveling with your pets: http://www.travelingpets.com/

Here are some rules that American Airlines has:
Pets Traveling In The Cabin
Please review the information below, then call Reservations at 800-433-7300 to check for availability and to make a reservation for the pet.
Accepted on domestic flights within the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. Croix.
Accepted from the U.S. to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean provided the country of arrival permits entry.
No carry-on pets to/from Hawaii or Transatlantic/Transpacific or Central and South America.
See below for applicable Fees.
Charges are payable at the airport and the passenger must show the pet travel fee receipt at the departure gate.
The maximum size for cabin pet carriers is 23" long x 13" wide x 9" high. A pet kennel counts as either a passenger's one carry-on bag or personal item - a cabin pet Fee still applies, however.
Only one pet kennel per ticketed passenger may be accepted for travel in the cabin, as pets must stay under the seat in front of you during the entire flight.
Pet may not be removed from their kennel/container at any time while on-board the aircraft.
The kennel may contain two (2) dogs or two (2) cats but they must be the same species, ages between 8-weeks and 6-months, and weigh less than 20 lbs.
Animals must be able to stand up, turn around and lay down in a natural position in the kennel.
Soft-sided pet carriers are accepted as long as they are constructed of water-repellent, padded nylon with mesh ventilation on two or more sides.
Must be a minimum age of eight (8) weeks old for dogs and cats.
The maximum number of carry-on kennels allowed (on American Airlines flights accepting them) is seven per flight: two (2) in first class and five (5) in coach and/or business class. However, seeing eye/hearing service assist animals and search dogs are not counted in the maximum number allowed in the cabin.
On American Eagle and AmericanConnection®, two kennels (at most) are allowed depending on the aircraft - please contact Reservations before your flight.
American assumes no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment